Our new little daughter!

Our new little daughter!
Mari Elizabeth

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Pleasure of Hard Work

After an emotionally draining weekend, and it was physically difficult too, this morning I headed out to the garden. I was feeling overwhelmed by the prospect of hoeing the weeds and had a generally reluctant attitude - convincing myself that I'd only do it for 15 minutes and be done. Well, as I worked in the morning sun, which wasn't too hot - I became distinctly aware of all of my senses and through the discomfort of the work, I found blessing. First, the realization that this job was fleeting, and even deeper, that this time and place in my life is fleeting. I am after all, here alive and well and able to do the work. That isn't a guarantee, as we know - but often can't live with that reality and remain stable! So, I weeded. . . the whole garden. I was alone, it was therapeutic and the soil was warm, and alive. My garden is growing, the corn is up. . . so are the beans and peppers and lots of tomatoes. Ahh.